Types of Prayer in Scripture
Scripture mentions six distinct types of prayers:
1. The prayer of agreement Jesus stated in Matthew 18.19 “‘Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.'”
2. The prayer of faith illustrated in Mark 11.24 where Jesus explains, “Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.”
3. The prayer of consecration and dedication outlined Jesus’ prayer in Luke 22:41-42, “And He… knelt down and prayed, saying, ‘Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.'”
4. The prayer of praise and worship where Luke 18.43 mentions the blind man ‘glorifying God’ and that people present ‘gave praise to God.’ And Jesus himself models in John 11.41 saying, “Father, I thank you that you have heard Me…” Perhaps, the most notable reference of this type of prayer was penned by Paul to the Philippians in Philippians 4.6, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.”
5. The prayer of intercession, essentially conversing with God on behalf of someone or something else. Paul talks about this type of prayer in Ephesians 1.15-18 by saying, “Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints.”
6. The prayer of binding and loosing located in Matthew 18.18 where Jesus states, “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
At The Altar IHOP, Tokyo, there are several of areas the Lord has led us to focus our attention on during our times of intercession. We invite you to learning more about those areas below. Feel free to adopt these prayer projects for your own personal and group intercession times. Our desire is to inspire a prayer movement on behalf of Japan.
For specific details on areas we intercede over regularly, click the links below.
Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Asia, Nation by Nation
7 Mountains & Spheres of Influence
Trafficking in Japan & Asia
And a few more…